WHAT IS MENINGOCOCCAL DISEASE?
• A bacterial infection of the meninges (lining of the brain) that causes swelling of the brain and spinal cord membranes.
• A bacterial infection of the blood stream which can cause shock and multiorgan failure.
WHY SHOULD I GET VACCINATED AGAINST MENINGOCOCCAL DISEASE?
Meningococcal disease kills 10 to 15 out of every 100 infected people. Of those who survive, 20 out of every 100 people will suffer disabilities such as loss of limbs, kidney damage, or brain damage.
HOW CONTAGIOUS IS MENINGOCOCCAL DISEASE?
Meningococcal disease is mild to moderately contagious. However, prolonged close contact with an infected person increases the risk of transmission. This is a concern for schools, college dormitories, and military dormitories.
WHO CAN GET MENINGOCOCCAL DISEASE?
Anyone can get Meningococcal disease, but it is most common in infants, children, teens, young adults, and those older than 65 years.
WHAT IS THE MENACWY VACCINE?
The MenACWY vaccine provides protection against four serotypes of meningococcal bacteria: A, C, W, and Y. Of these four serotypes, W and Y more commonly cause disease in the United States.
IS THE MENACWY VACCINE REQUIRED FOR STUDENTS IN NEVADA?
Yes, as of the 2022-2023 school year, a student enrolling in 7th grade and 12th grade in a Nevada public, private, or charter school must receive an immunization against Neisseria meningitidis in the form of a quadrivalent meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MenACWY).
HOW MANY DOSES ARE REQUIRED FOR SCHOOL REGISTRATION?
• At least one dose of MenACWY on or after 16 years of age to enter 12th grade
• At least one dose of the MenACWY on or after 10 years of age to enter 7th grade
CAN THE VACCINE CAUSE MENINGITIS?
No, the MenACWY vaccine is not a live vaccine and cannot cause infection.
IS THE VACCINE SAFE?
There are three formulations of MenACWY vaccines available for use in the United States. All three have been licensed by the FDA as safe and effective:
DOES THE BRAND OF THE VACCINE MATTER?
No, all three brands of the MenACWY vaccine have been licensed by the FDA as safe and effective. All three of the MenACWY vaccines are interchangeable for people ages 2 and up.
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS OF THE VACCINE?
The following mild side effects may occur:redness and soreness where the shot was given, muscle pain, headache, and fatigue. However, side effects typically resolve within 1 to 2 days.
WHERE CAN I GET THE VACCINE?
• Contact your primary care provider and schedule an appointment
• Local pharmacies
• Health Districts
• Federally Qualified Health Centers
• For more vaccine locations, visit Immunize Nevada’s website to locate a vaccine clinic near you: https://www.immunizenevada.org/find-vaccine-clinics